Steam Bath (Wet Sauna)"Not only a luxury... quickest way to detoxify"
Steam Bath (Wet Sauna)
Steam baths provide a wet heat that is different from the dry heat created in a sauna. Steam baths open our pores so our skin can excrete toxins and dirt, increases blood circulation, and can help clear sinuses and nasal passages to help us breath more easily. It is especially helpful for those who suffer from asthma, bronchitis and allergies. Steam baths can also sooth tired and aching muscles.
About Steam Bath
Healing With Water
We all need water to survive and we know how important it is to our health, hygiene and our environment. Yet when we think of water, most of us automatically relate to it in its liquid form; the water we make coffee with, take a shower in, spray on the lawn and drink throughout the day. This fundamental element has the ability to transform into solid and liquid states, and in each of these states, water fulfills different roles. One important role is water vapor or steam. Used for everything from powering engines to pressing clothes, steam also plays an important role in our health and relaxation. With a steam shower, we are now able to offer not only a luxury of a spa, but the most detoxifying therapy known.
For thousands of years, cultures around the world have indulged in the soothing warmth of aromatic steam baths. Ancient Romans and Chinese were well known for creating elaborate baths. Steam baths have also become part of Native American cultures all the way from the Alaskan Eskimos to the land of the Mayans. These cultures used steam baths to clean the body, cure illness, rejuvenate tired muscles and provide a sense of spiritual identity. It wasn't until the twentieth century that steam baths became a more common part of North American culture.
The Rock Spa's Steam Bath looks like any regular shower except with sealing doors and an optional seat, in our custom steam shower you can either take a shower, have a steam or both at the same time. The steam outlet operates on a timer and can include a small reservoir where essential oils, respiratory medications or perfume essences can be diffused. Enjoy showering at different temperatures, a combination of adjustable shower heads, body sprays, hand sprays and steam outlets to keep bather happy and comfortable. Our custom steam shower is also equipped with accessories such as shower speakers and chromotherapy mood lighting.
Being beneficial either in cold winters or hot summers, steam baths prevent the skin from becoming dehydrated and itchy. The dry heat created in a sauna is different than the wet heat created by steam baths. The moisture opens our pores allowing our skin to excrete toxins and dirt. It also increases blood circulation, and can help clear sinuses and nasal passages allowing us to breathe more easily. It is especially helpful for those who suffer from asthma, bronchitis and allergies. Steam baths can also soothe tired and aching muscles.
Why Steam Bath?
OVER 30 BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH STEAMBATHING
Steam baths can have numerous positive effects on your body and mind, as well as help alleviate a number of illnesses.
Listed below are some of the most important therapeutic benefits that a steam bath can provide.
- 1. Improves breathing; opens up nasal passages related to symptoms of allergies.
- 2. Improves breathing; opens up nasal passages related to symptoms of viruses.
- 3. Hot mist helps to promote sinus drainage.
- 4. Hot mist helps to loosen bronchial secretions.
- 5. May provide temporary relief of asthma-type symptoms.
- 6. Hot mist soothes the throat.
- 7. Warm mist helps decrease symptoms due to croup.
- 8. Acts as a natural expectorant.
- 9. Cleanses the skin.
- 10. May relieve acne conditions.
- 11. Opens up pores.
- 12. Lubricates the skin.
- 13. Hydrates dry skin.
- 14. Rejuvenates.
- 15. Leaves skin with healthy glow.
- 16. Makes shaving in a steam shower easier.
- 17. Prepares the skin follicles for easier waxing.
- 18. Removes toxins from the body.
- 19. Increases circulation.
- 20. Helps the body rid itself of excess sodium.
- 21. May relieve pain & discomfort of arthritis.
- 22. Rids the body of metabolic and other waste products.
- 23. Helps with detoxification.
- 24. Relieves stress.
- 25. Encourages relaxation.
- 26. Promotes deep, restful sleep.
- 27. Fosters a sense of well-being.
- 28. Can help increase the length of REM cycles during sleep.
- 29. Combining Steam and AromaTherapy (lavender) may promote soothing relief from stress and tension.
- 30. Combine Steam and MusicTherapy® to manage stress.
- 31. Combine Steam and ChromaTherapy® to enhance your mood elevation.
- 32. Increases blood circulation.
- 33. Boosts metabolism.
- 34. Helps to reinvigorate tired muscles.
- 35. Removes lactic acid from overworked muscles.
- 36. Increases muscular flexibility (great for stretching).
- 37. On average, burns 150 calories in a 15-minute session at 114°F.
Steam Bath Etiquette And Guidelines
The steam bath aids in detoxification by creating artificial fever. It speeds up circulation and body cell metabolism thereby causing toxic wastes to be expelled through the skin. Spending time in the steam shower can ease tension headaches, & make you feel loose, relaxed, it stimulates your immune system but it should always be used to moderation. Wet Sauna time is a time of peace.
- Steam bath session requires prior appointment. A session is 30 minutes total in length.
- To warm & relaxed muscles, 5-6mins in the steam room. Always think to refresh your body with a fresh shower.
- Arrive 20 minutes early on your first visit to fill out a form and for brief orientation.
- Come wearing comfortable street cloths. We provide towels, shampoo, body wash and a hair dryer.
- Patrons must be 17 years or over.
- Please refrain from wearing perfume or scented cosmetics at The Rock Spa.
- Leave coats, shoes and boots in the changing room.
- Slipers are provided, and must be worn in The Rock Spa.
- Please use the restroom, wash your hands.
- No food or drinks, including water, are allowed in the steam room (we provide water fountain).
- To be respectful to other guests, please keep the noise level to a minimum.
- Please turn off all communication devices (cell phone, pager...) prior to entering the Spa area. Tranquility is of utmost importance to enjoy Spa experience.
- Do not wear a bathing suit as the dyes can get into your pores.
- Remove make up / jewellery / any metal on your body / remove contact lenses.
- Enter the steam shower quickly / Close the door! Steam shower will pre heated.
- Have a thorough shower both before and after use to cleanse the skin.
- Close your eyes and allow your mind to be free / Breath gently through your nose.
- Relax for 5 minutes, this will raise the body temperature and the perspiration will cleanse the pores of the skin. Take a cold shower.
- The hot / cold cycle can be repeated 2 more times and shouldn’t excide 15 minutes.
- After a steam bath, shower with fresh water.
- Drink plenty of purified water while in the steam room.
Contraindications for using a steam room (Check with your Doctor prior to use):
- Do Not use the steam room if you are Pregnant.
- Do Not use the steam room or sauna if you Suffer from heart disease, circulatory problems, high or low blood pressure.
- Restriction to use the steam room also includes kidney disease and diabetes, or any infectious skin diseases / sores / wounds.
- Have consumed a meal or alcohol within one and a half hours.
- Have recently exercised.
Welcome home to your gorgeous self! Listen to your body and if you feel light headed or faint, move slowly and tell someone so you may be assisted.